To safeguard the Landlord and the Tenant a legal process has been
developed by the Kentucky Court System. The following is a brief
step-by-step procedure for Lawrence County residents: (There are
various fees associated with this process.)
1. The Landlord officially contacts the lessee/renter that he/she has 30 days to vacate the premises by:
a. sending a certified notice by mail
b. hand delivering a notice or
c. can elect to have the notice delivered by the Sheriff’s Office for a 40 dollar fee.
2. After the 30 day notice you will go to Lawrence County Circuit Clerk Jodi Parley’s Office and request a “Forcible Detainer”
3. You will be given a court date for the District judge to require an eviction.
4. If the lessee/renter has not evacuated the premises by the date set by the court you must return to the Lawrence County Circuit Clerk Jodi Parsley’s Office an affidavit of “Warrant of Possession”.
5. The Sheriff will then be issued a “Set Out Order” to forcibly evict the lessee/renter.
6. The Landlord and Sheriff’s Office will agree on a date to have the
Tenant’s property put outside the building.
7. The “Set Out” Warrant is hand delivered by the Sheriff’s Office to the Tenant or posted on the door to the occupancy.
8. At the designated time the Landlords moving crew and Sheriff’s
Deputies will meet to evict the renters.
9. The Landlord can then go to Small Claims Court to recover back rent owed them.
When the Landlord and Deputies Meet at the Property
Please understand that LCSO Deputies are there to insure a smooth and peaceful process they are not there to move property. Therefore, the Landlord will have 3 able bodied people for the eviction of an apartment and 5 persons for a house. One (1) hour has been allotted for eviction so match your manpower accordingly.
The tenants property will be placed in front of the residence one (1) foot from the curb and not blocking the sidewalk in town or in front yard away from roadway if in the county.
The Landlord should change the locks at this point in the eviction process. The address must be visible on all rental property and each apartment must be numbered or identified properly.
Helpful Items to Bring Landlords and Helpers
• Gloves /Masks / Tools
• Garbage Bags / Empty Boxes
• Appliance Dolly / Insect Spray
• Water Hose (For Water Beds)
• Locksmith / New Locks for the House/Apartment